Holiday Safety Tips For Pets



  • Edible perils for pets include deviating from their prescription diets; eating fatty foods such as gravy, poultry skin and butter; snacking on toxic (to pets) items such as chocolate, raisins, grapes, onions, and garlic; and imbibing in unsafe beverages like diet sodas, energy drinks, and alcohol of any kind.
  • Non-edible perils for pets who ingest them include human medications and cannabis products, paper products (napkins, paper towels, tissues), centerpieces, ornaments and other decorations, and toxic holiday plants such as holly and poinsettias.
  • Edible holiday pleasures for pets—in moderation, of course—are foods such as plain canned pumpkin, squash, peas, green beans, cored apples, spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, and corn-off-the-cob.

Dr. Daniel’s helpful tips also included a reminder that, with holiday visitors, celebrations, and travel, families should make sure their pet is wearing a collar with up-to-date ID and current phone number (even if he or she is microchipped) to maximize the odds of being returned home safely if lost. And to watch for symptoms of possible pet illness or toxicity which may include disorientation, lethargy, vomiting, and other atypical behaviors. Her final tip for pet owners was to seek veterinary medical advice as soon as possible if they know, or suspect, that their pet has overindulged or ingested a toxic substance or foreign object.


Leave a Comment